Thursday, February 4, 2010

who is Giacometti

Last week, The Wall Street Journal started showing up on my doorstep. I’m not really sure what to do about it, but in the meantime, I’ve decided to read it. I don’t read the paper much simply because I don’t have the time. However, since it so conveniently appeared, I figured it couldn’t hurt to take a look right?

Front page of today’s issue is about a Giacometti bronze sculpture that sold at an action for $104.3 Million! It beat the previous record of $104.2 Million for a Picasso! Who is this Giacometti guy anyways??? Well, I did some research…

Alberto Giacometti lived from 1901 until 1966. He was a surrealist painter and sculptor whose main focus was on the gaze of the living person. Everything else was of no importance. How intriguing! After looking at many of his sculptures, they all have the similar long and slender look to them with a rough unfinished texture. For myself, I find his pieces evoke a desire to sit alone and stare at it for hours contemplating every line and angle. I sure wouldn’t mind having one in my house! However, with a $104.3 Million price tag, I’ll be content to admire from afar.
There is much more to Giacometti than what I can fit on one blog posting. The following are a few links II used in my research, however, there are many many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment